Thursday, April 21, 2016

Fishing With Buds

As much as I like catching fish I enjoy sharing spots with friends. Joey and I hit a crappie hole that has been good to me lately. I had him go with a fly color I hadn't tried yet. It was basically a red wooly bugger. Several casts in he hooked this beast. 
It was a trophy crappie and gave him a good fight. I was wondering what was taking him so long to bring the fish in. He thought it was a catfish at first. When I saw the fish I didn't think it was that big until it turned onto its side. The thing was almost as tall as it was long.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks Kevin for the invite and the fly!
    -Joey

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHOA. That is without question a trophy! Wow! I've never used a red bugger, but I think I should. I've always had great luck with chartreuse colored flies.

    I can't stop looking at that fish. That fight had to be intense, and then to see it's size, that had to up the ante BIG TIME, knowing those paper thin mouths can shake a hook with ease.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about their looks being under rated. They are cool looking fish. This big one had a green I had never seen before.

      Delete
  3. I'm not a crappie fisherman and I know that is one big crappie. Just job Joey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kevin
    Wow!! what a crappie, especially on the fly, congrats to Joey, did he keep the fish? what weight fly rod was he using? Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill, he was using a 5wt. The fish was released. The fish still had eggs in it.

      Delete
  5. Nice Crappie. They are a good fight when they are that size.

    ReplyDelete