Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Swarmageddon

The 17yr cicadas are predicted to emerge this year. Experts are predicting huge numbers and they have published a map to predict where the first cicadas will be. I swore I have heard a few already but what's strange is I hear them right before dark then it goes silent. The usual summer cicadas can be heard well into the night. This makes me think I might not be hearing cicadas or these are the cicadas and they just aren't singing because they don't hear others. There might not be enough response to their songs for them to keep singing. Just a theory. The prime ground temperature needs to be 64 degrees. We've had 75degree and above temperatures for the last week. The ground temps have to be close to that. I'll try to keep you updated for those of you who care about these beautifully ugly loud insects.

4 comments:

  1. I say we all get together and have a 17 year anniversary party! You buy drinks of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn, those are big, and look super cool! I looked at the map, and they're not in my area. Just north of my in Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Howard, I'm in. Do you like Fat Tire?

    Justin C, They are cool but a little freaky too. When they fly off a bush they move the whole branch. Not many bugs do that. They are awkward fliers to. I've seen them run into things while trying to fly away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some cool bugs. We had the 13 year variety come out here in north GA in 2011. You could hear them for miles. It was downright deafening if you were in their immediate vicinity.

    ReplyDelete