Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Eno in May

I hosted a fly fishing trip on the Eno today. The trip was for people new to fly fishing. I think everyone had a great time and even though it doesn't matter, no one was skunked. The water level was perfect and the cicadas were singing like crazy. The sound is a little eerie. It's almost impossible to describe. It sounds alien and the bug looks it as well.
Empty husks lined the leaves and edges of trees.If you looked at the ground you could see holes from where the cicads unearthed themselves. After enjoying the scenery we made our way to the water.After removing a few flies from the trees the newbies were getting the hang of it. I was able to branch off and fish on my own some. The sunfish were doing their usual thing smacking top water poppers with a vengeance. They seemed to really like the beetle shape flies which made sense with all the cicadas around. I caught one really beautiful sunfish right off the bat. It was the biggest of the day and I should have gotten a picture but I let it go thinking I'd catch plenty that size. Everyone was catching fish here and there and most of the new people started to create a decent loop.It was a fun day and I hope to get out next weekend. The club is checking out the stretch of stream we are adopting. We're going to take water samples and do some fishing.

5 comments:

  1. they have not come out here in vegas yet but in a month that is the only thing you hear 24 hours a day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good way to spend a day. Nice of you to help introduce new people to the sweet world of fly fishing. Great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice, Cicadas were all over my yard and house last week.....everywhere.....Mack

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there,
    Which section are you adopting. And where were you fishing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. RocDoctor, we are adopting a section in Hillsboro and we fished the Pump Station area.

    ReplyDelete