Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Spring Ritual

 If you follow my blog at all you know I'm a fan of white bass. Spring always brings the white bass run and I look forward to it every year. The weather has not cooperated the last few years making a window to fish the run very narrow. My first few attempts resulted in only a couple fish. The river was always stained and flowing higher than I'd like. The banks are steep and muddy making navigating to a fishing spot challenging.


I was able to time one day just right and the day couldn't have been better.


Everything was so green from all the rain we've had. All the animals were enjoying the warm weather even this guy.


A rat snake sunning itself across a log. It didn't budge when I got closer to take a picture. These snakes can be startling because of their size but they are harmless. 


I met with a friend from the fly fishing club and we had a great time catching up and fishing the usual haunts. The river changes every year with the rains and the fish move constantly. A spot with white perch one day can have all white bass or nothing the next. I haven't exactly figured out what makes the fish move or why there's more of one kind over another. The main thing is they are fun to catch and give a nice tug on a 6-7wt. 


The amount of fish over the years has dropped off and regulations have been put in place to help bring back the populations. Honestly I think the weather patterns have helped the fishing pressure more than anything. The river is tough to fish and only the diehards really put in the work to fight the briars, steep cliffs, and awkward footing. Many times the white bass are a fish you have to earn and the reward is well worth it. 




2 comments:

  1. Kevin
    Just wondering how the White Bass is related to the Stripped Bass we have in Smith Lake? I've only landed a few on the fly rod but those I have landed are tough fighters. Glad you were able to make it out on the water---thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The white bass are a small version of the striper. They fight very hard for their size. They don't tire and fight all the way until you lip them. Pound for pound they are one of the most fun fish to catch on a fly in my opinion.

      Delete