Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Putting to Work the Allen 6wt

 Allen Fly Fishing has a BOGO deal going on right now. I took the opportunity to get a 6wt Compass and 5wt Heritage Rod. The compass has a very pretty Carolina blue color. 


The 6wt feels stout and it can get away with working as a 7wt if needed. It's perfect for that gap where you want something for fish larger than trout but smaller than carp. 

I tried it out at a local pond and hooked a decent bass that gave me an idea of what the rod can handle. 


I was impressed at how easy it was to keep pressure on the fish. The rod definitely wasn't horsing or overpowering the fish but it kept me in constant control. I like rods where if you lose a fish you can only blame yourself and this is definitely one of those. It will give me confidence in many of the waters I fish where a hit may hook a panfish, bass, or carp. I'm excited to see what else this rod can do it casts like a dream due to the large guides. 

I'll let you know the Heritage 5wt is after I try it. I'm going to the Rockies again this summer and I plan on bringing this rod. 

3 comments:

  1. Kevin
    The 5 wt. would be a great fly rod for some of those brown trout there. Like the fly reel you have paired with the fly rod. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill, The reel is a Martin Mountain Brook. I'll probably try the 5wt out on a local river next weekend. I'm hosting a outing for my local TU Chapter.

      Delete
  2. hello and thanks for your blog - did you get a chance to fish the Heritage?
    please let us know your thoughts. they look like beautiful rods.

    ReplyDelete