Monday, April 16, 2018

Spot Burning

The internet is such a great resource for learning about fly fishing but it can also be just as damaging. People posting reports of their favorite fishing holes have ruined many angler's honey holes that were secret for years. Being able to pinpoint a location down to GPS coordinates has devastated some really great fishing spots. Many call this phenomenon Spot Burning. Some feel sharing locations and posting about them is fine because they will eventually be exposed anyhow. Others see it as the demise of great fishing. Past generations always say things were better before. I think that statement truer than ever in today's fishing climate. With today's technology you can send a picture of where you're fishing and text directions with in seconds. It has created a major dilemma for bloggers and fishermen who love sharing their stories but love the places they fish even more. It's the main reason I rarely share streams and rivers I fish. I also try to hide various land marks in my pictures. Some places are just impossible to hide. If you know the seasons and are in fishing circles you can pretty  much guess where someone is fishing. With many it's the generosity of sharing knowledge that introduced us to fly fishing. Having to hide and keep secret what you want to share and care about dearly contradicts what many feel is right. Some say the only way to make people aware of how great these places and fish are is to expose them. I would have agreed with that years ago. From experiences getting older meeting fisherman and seeing how people treat the environment has lead me to disagree. No matter what you choose to do with your fishing reports try to keep in mind what the end result may be. It could me more than just a fishing spot you're losing.

2 comments:

  1. Kevin
    I can see sharing information about a particular fishing hole or fly pattern you use on a body of water or stream you've fished; if there were an overabundance of lakes and streams to fish. Today there are very few lakes being built as opposed to past years and a limited number of streams to fish. An example of this is Spring Hill Tennessee, where my wife and I live for a couple of years. This area is just south of Nashville and had three small lakes under 100 acres and a small stream near town which was stocked 3 times a year to fish for trout during the winter months. This one stream and three small lakes is supposed to accommodate 1000's of fishing individuals; in short there is not enough fishing waters to accommodate the enormous amount of people fishing now days.
    By the way I seldom mention the fly patterns I use on the Sipsey Tailrace I fish here in Jasper. If I did I would have even more individuals to fish shoulder to shoulder with when I’m wetting a fly there. This place is the only place in Alabama to fish for trout and is pressured daily with lots of individuals fishing. Great post--Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, luckily I don't fish places that are threatened. Except maybe from trash. That's the biggest threat when you fish along a well known highway. That or getting run over when a drunk partier takes his car off the road.

    ReplyDelete