Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Possibly Making A Difference

What I was told which I don't know if it is fact or not is that white bass used to be taken to stock local farm ponds. There was no limit to the harvest because it was assumed it would be a one time thing. A angler would go to an area get a cooler or bucket full stock his pond and come back next year. That practice years later turned into people coming to the river to get their freezers stocked for spring. 

When I first started fly fishing in my area I went to a creek with a friend and hooked my first white bass. I was addicted to this species ever since. Every year before the run I'd tie flies and watch the weather with anticipation. The runs fluctuated with weather patterns but I noticed year after year more people seemed to be fishing the run and it was taking its toll. I tried telling whoever I could about this problem but I always wondered if my complaints fell on deaf ears.

Since there was no limit fishermen would take males and females no matter the size. In the last 5 years or so the run has tapered off quite a bit. No one wanted to admit that it's people causing the decline. Most blamed rain events or other environmental changes. We fish in a different world now. People used to use word of mouth to tell when the run was on and now all it takes is a cell phone call. The internet allows anglers to share reports to huge audiences and it gives others the resources to pin point where the fish are. It's amazing the fish have a chance to spawn at all.

I have a friend who works as a fisheries biologist and he would listen to my rants about white bass. He worked with the Wildlife Commission to do a study on white bass populations in the area. What they found was what I had feared. The over harvesting of white bass during spawn was eradicating the species. The consensus was that if things don't change there could possible be no more white bass in the area. A proposal was pushed and although I think it went a little too far the other direction I think it's for the best. Instead of a no limit any size regulation the limit now is 10 white bass that are 14" or larger.

The interesting thing about this will be enforcement, the 14 inch fish have been appearing less and less. There are going to be quite a few unhappy people this spring and such a change to a popular fishing event will not be met with enthusiasm. In the end though I feel it's a win for white bass and even though my rants and public outcry for changes may have had nothing to do with the change I like to think I had some small part in it. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I've been asked to help with surveying the run this spring with the Wildlife Commision. I'll be sure to share the report of the experience.

Stay Tuned....

5 comments:

  1. If it works, it always seems to be a generational thing. The generation that grew up taking everything home tends to be the slowest to accept. Or the first to violate the rules as they personally denounce the rules validity. But turn them and the rest seem to follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel bad for the people that are going to learn this the hard way. I'm sure nothing will change this spring until quite a few people get tickets and word of mouth spreads the change. I doubt the violators ever read the fishing regulations every year. I'm not going to sugar coat it. It's usually the lower income families that do most of the over harvesting. NC has a law that if you are on a government assistance program you don't have to have a fishing license. I'm not sure how other regulations apply to those in that situation.

      Delete
  2. I think that we are slowly evolving and starting to understand that fish, like other natural resources are not never ending supply if we don't pay attention and use some common sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could be wrong but it seems like the majority of society doesn't see natural things as something to preserve. Mainly just something to consume or exploit. I'm worried it will be too late before they realize the value in flora and fauna.

      Delete
    2. Kevin, I honestly believe that it's different in other parts of the country/world.

      Delete