Friday, May 31, 2013

Another Reason To Hate Ticks


If there's one main thing I fear when fishing near overgrown brush, it is ticks. I've only had a couple stuck to me but that was enough to make me hate them. Recently I found one more reason to hate ticks. Not only can you get Lyme Disease you can also become allergic to meat. You read that right, a bite can stop you from eating burgers, steak and other meats that make life worth living.
 
"Now, the government has not yet issued health warnings about meat allergies associated with these ticks — such allergies are still quite rare, and like many other food allergies, the presence of the antibody doesn't necessarily guarantee an allergic response. Scientists say the allergy-inducing tick bites have affected about 1,500 people since it was first reported in 2008 —compared to the roughly 25,000 new cases of Lyme diseases reported every year."
- NPR

 
I've thought about eating better but I don't want to go to this extent. Recently the blogger The Impractical Fisherman posted some info on how to prevent tick bites. I'd suggest reading it. You don't want to become an involuntary vegetarian.


9 comments:

  1. I hate ticks. But until a recent camping trip with the fam I never had to surgical remove one. Unfortunately for my little boy one latched onto his ... uhm... dangler. A tweezer, some isopro alchoal, and a few scared tears and the pine tick was removed. Glad I got to it in time. A meat allergy would be catostrophic in our family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A meat allergy would be devastating to me to. I'd just tell my wife once or twice a month that I'm going to go eat a burger and get sick.

      Delete
  2. Back in the day, ticks were just an annoyance. We've now learned how devastating a tick bite can be. Thanks for posting this Kevin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Howard. It's unfortunate but ticks have prevented me from fishing several locations.

      Delete
  3. The worst. Hate 'em with a passion. Already had to pick a couple off of me and my two boys this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping the colder spring brings them out later this year.

      Delete
  4. You know it man. I hear all the time for people who don't get outdoors much. Aren't you afraid of snakes? I don't tell them that snakes are the least of my concerns any more. It's the ticks and mosquitoes you have to worry about... and the turtles, what out for turtles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snakes are the least of my worried. I'm more worried about hornets and ticks. Turtles don't bother me too much. Luckily the ones around here aren't that aggressive. I still avoid any turtle that's the size of a basketball.

      Delete
  5. I was diagnosed with Lyme shortly after being bit several years ago. That was bad enough. NOT EATING MEAT!! That would all but kill me. I AM A MEATATARIAN! Looks like Sawyers has just become even MORE of a friend!

    ReplyDelete