Monday, June 22, 2020

Kayaking as a family

I've been wanting another kayak for quite some time and I researched several different options. My wife gave me the go ahead to get a tandem and I had one on order and decided to try a inflatable for the kids. The Intex Excursion Inflatable kayak came and after our first test float I was so impressed I decided to order two and use them with the family. 
The boat takes about 7-10min to inflate with the dual pump hand pump it comes with. The kayak is very sturdy and although I don't think could stand up in it but the inflatable bottom doesn't feel like a water bed. It fits a adult and child comfortably but the boat was designed to be used solo as a fishing kayak.
The boat comes with paddles, two seats, rod holders, pump and skagit right out of the box. The kayak is very easy to maneuver and tracks very well. It does get caught in a cross wind if it's really blowing. 
I can't comment on the durability because I've only had the boats out twice but so far my I've been very happy with them. I'm not sure you can find kayaks that are easier to transport and setup. Breaking them down doesn't take long at all and they both fit in the back of my SUV. 
I did get one of these boats for fishing and I have to admit I'm a little concerned about fishing out of it. The boat seems durable but I don't think it could handle a decent hook hitting the side of it. I remember with my old kayak my cast would sometimes send a fly right into the side of it. That kayak was hard plastic so there was no concern but with this I wouldn't feel so confident. I do plan on using spinning tackle I'll be sure to post a review once I do. 

2 comments:

  1. Kevin
    A lot of pros here with this kayak such transporting, lightweight, and easy set up. Looking forward to your report in future post. What a way to spend family time, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill, even if it's not a great fishing vessel it is a fun kayak for the family. Having two is perfect for us right now. At the very least they will get some use this summer.

      Delete