Monday, December 16, 2013

Bad Mouthing Orvis

For a long time I have been bad mouthing Orvis. My main issue was how pricey their products are. I felt the brand name was synonymous with snob.What I started to notice was year after year I seemed to be buying more Orvis stuff. When I hit the stream now I sport a Orvis Chest Pack and Waders. It's not that I have more income or less access to other stores. I have found that Orvis has some pretty good deals now and then. Better deals than you can find at other stores and even online retailers. Even my beloved Sierra Trading Post can't compete sometimes. 

Orvis is also one of the few stores that seems to consistently provide programs to get people into fly fishing. Free fly tying and casting classes. They even offer a free trip on local waters here in the Triangle. They provide all of the equipment, waders and boots included. Of course the end goal is hoping you'll get hooked and buy gear from Orvis. Still the gesture is there and it is getting more people exposed to the sport. If you sign up for their mailing list you will get coupons fairly regularly. The best coupons are the $25 off a $50 purchase. I mainly use these when I stock up on tying supplies. I have been looking for a decent cheap midge box for quite some time. I was surprised that Orvis had one of the cheapest options. They have come out with slim pocket fly boxes. These boxes vary in several different sizes and no matter what size you choose they are all $10.
The midge boxes come with a magnet at the bottom and fit great in your pocket or fishing pack. Orvis has really converted me into liking them. I still think many of their products are over priced but I have to admit they are good quality. Their fly tying materials are priced pretty much the same as most fly shops. I'm not recommending Orvis for all of your fly-fishing needs but I do suggest giving them a look the next time you're hunting for something.

8 comments:

  1. Kevin
    The only thing I have bought from Orvis was the Battenkill II reel last year when they were running a special on it for 85.00--regular price 100.00. My wife and I are on a fixed income so we have to watch for bargains when it comes to fishing equipment. I never pay full price for any fly fishing items. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never pay full price for anything either. My mother always told me if you wait long enough everything goes on sale. Sometimes Orvis really does have the best deals. I recently bought some Sonic Welded Waders for $114. No other stores could touch that price.

      Delete
  2. Every reel I own (none newer that 1985) are Orvis. They have never disappointed me with their customer service and most helpful staff. They're in business to make money just like all the rest...but longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Battenkill reels seem to be bulletproof. I've seen many that have plenty of years of service and work like they day they were purchased.

      Delete
  3. Orvis has been pretty good to me, considering the abuse I've heaped upon various pieces of their gear over the years. They have always stood behind their products, no questions asked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their customer service is great. One thing that bothers me a little is they don't have many free shipping deals online but if you go into the store and order a product from there they ship it to you for free. How does that make sense? I've only had to deal with their customer service one time. I broke the tip off a fly rod. They handled everything fine.

      Delete
  4. I agree with Bill on this. I am also on a fixed income and have to be very careful as too where my fly fishing money is spent. I love to browse my local fly shops, but usually, just purchase fly tying material or such matter that is standard pretty much wherever you buy it. The rest of the stuff I use I really have to crimp and look for good deals. That being said, one of the finest little rod and reel combos I have ever fished with was an Orvis Far & Fine rod and Orvis reel. Sadly, both have came and gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya Mel. I will probably never own a Helios or other high end Orvis rod. I just can't spend that kind of money. My post was mostly to give a heads up to check Orvis from time to time to see their deals. Sometimes they are the best deals on the net.

      Delete