Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Six Degrees of Blogs?

I'm sure you've heard of the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon. It's based on a theory of Six Degrees of Separation, "the idea that everyone is six or fewer steps away, by way of introduction, from any other person in the world, so that a chain of "a friend of a friend" statements can be made to connect any two people in a maximum of six steps. It was originally set out by Frigyes Karinthy and popularized by a play written by John Guare."

This phenomenon also happens in the fly fishing blogosphere. Take my most recent experience. I talk with Emily Block the writer for the blog Mysteries Internal from time to time. I was looking for suggestions on artists who specialize in fishing. She recommended Becca Schlaff. I contacted Becca and asked if she had a design my TU Chapter could use for T-Shirts. She generously offered a brown trout design. 

I recently got the shirts done and posted a picture of the shirts on Becca's facebook page.


I found out later that apparently this design was inspired by a fish caught by the author of the blog Fontinalis Rising. It's interesting when you think none of this may have happened if fly fishing blogs weren't around 

6 comments:

  1. Kevin
    This I why I love to blog, not only for the communication but for all the cool ideas and products one can find. Really like the shirt---thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too! Nice shirts. What goes around comes around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice shirts...Mel see if you can order some for the shop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool shirts Kevin. I follow Becca's work via her FB page. She's really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Kevin, I am not a blogger (blasphemy in the blog-o-sphere) but I periodically venture outside my comfort zone and do enjoy reading the blogs. Please let me know how to obtain these shirts ... make a great present to fishing partners. Bob

    ReplyDelete