Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Tailing Loops

I've flirted with the idea of becoming a Certified Fly Caster many times.  It really wouldn't do anything for me professionally.  I guess I just want to confirm I do know what I'm doing.   After watching this video I know for sure I couldn't pass it.  At least not with my casting skills currently.   The video has some great info but the part I found the most beneficial goes over tailing loops.  I get tailing loops from time to time.  I can usually correct them on the spot and I've always wondered what exactly causes them.  This movie explains it really well.


FFF Casting Instructor, Casting Demonstration 1 from Silver Creek Outfitters on Vimeo.

5 comments:

  1. Kevin
    Great instruction on tailing loops, with me I don’t experience the loop as much as I use to. Back in my early days of fly fishing I used a heavier fly rod which at the time was harder for me to cast, and was causing me to have more tailing loops. Really at the time I didn’t know what a tailing loop was, but I do know that I was experiencing the tangled line at the end of the cast. As time went by I was able to afford a better combo which give me more balance and a lighter rod which helped eliminate most all the tailing loops. Don’t get me wrong I still as all of us do get one now and then but not as often. I truly love to fish a light fly rod and that has helped me more than anything to eliminate a lot of my casting problems. Great Post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bill, I don't get tailing loops often. I do get them when I try to adjust line speed by applying power at the end of my forward cast. I've learned to let the rod load more and take on more of the work load. There are still times mainly when I have a lot of line out where I try to over compensate if my cast gets sloppy. That's usually when I get a crazy tailing loop. In the video the instructor shows a way to get a loop if you apply power right at the end of your forward stroke. I used to do that all the time. I kind of thought you were supposed to flick the tip to get a tight loop. It will cause a really tight loop sometimes but more often especially with a tandem fly setup you will get a tailing loop and a really bad tangle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kevin, don't feel like the Lone Ranger...most of couldn't teach, but we still do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the best explination of tailing Loop I have heard to date. I don't get to many any more thank goodness. I'm better at finding low limbs or high weeds to wrap my line around. Thanks for sharing that one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found the best way to work through tangles is just to use a furled leader. I don't care if people are for or against them, they really do give me less tangles.

    ReplyDelete