Monday, August 14, 2017

Fuster Cluck

A Fuster Cluck is a funny way of saying a phrase that describes a rather unfavorable situation. You could say that situation has been my life the last month or so. I can't complain too much. My kids are fine, my job situation seems secure for the moment and for the most part life is chugging a long. My family went to Branson, MO for vacation in July. We had a great time tubing on the river and reconnecting with family we haven't seen in years. The last day my wife decided to take one last shot at wake boarding. It was just like all the stories you've heard the last time anything happens there's a 50/50 chance something bad happens. This went the bad way and my wife ended up breaking her femur. It was in the most freakish unlucky way. She wasn't landing any crazy jumps or doing anything severely dangerous. She was laying in the water, the boat took off, she went to get up and felt a pop. She knew something was seriously wrong right then. She even said, "I think I broke my leg." We were all in disbelief because what she did before hand wasn't very violent. Sure enough at the hospital, they gave us the bad news.
While the X-ray tech was filling us in on what was about to take place my only thought was how the hell are we going to get home? We were driving a small sedan and the doctors were talking about her possibly having a cast up to her hip. We couldn't worry about that at the time and my wife had surgery the next morning.

After an hour of surgery and one steel rod later my wife's leg looked like this.
At least it was straight but the fracture was so bad she still a month later can't put more than 25% of her weight on the leg. A family member let us borrow a van for the drive from Missouri back to North Carolina. Luckily it was an uneventful trip and we made it home without incident. 

It's been slow going and I've been stretched pretty thin doing all she did at home as well as working. Family support has been huge in helping with the kids and helping out with her care at home. You really realize how many people care about you when things like this happen. 

Needless to say, I haven't been fishing much. I did get out while we were on vacation a little but I wouldn't consider what I did fishing by any extent. I caught some bluegill on poppers and that was about it. Other than that my fishing life has been pretty stale. I'm hoping to go on a trout trip next month. It all depends on how my wife is healing and what else is going on. 



4 comments:

  1. Welcome back Kevin, you were missed. I was just about ready to send out the National Guard looking for you. Please give my best to your wife!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that definitely is a fuster cluck, and totally understandable as to why the silence. Hope your wife has a recovery without any setbacks and your life gets back to some level of normal soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin
    Hope your wife makes a fast recovery and your family gets back to normal soon. Never know how important the wife is to the function of the house whole until something like this happens. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch, that hurts all the way out here in California. Take it slow and get it healed well. Fishing will wait, your wife is more important.

    ReplyDelete