Sunday, November 17, 2013

Improving My Nymphing

By far this year my most productive fly has been a beadhead softhackle. I've tied the body of mine using dubbing from Singlebarbed.biz. It gives the fly a more beefy look. I'm not sure if that's what is making the difference or if it's the extended hackle on the flies. The flies have worked each time I have gone out. The other color combo that is working is a red body. The flies work so well I haven't had a chance to experiment much with other color combinations.

Yesterday I used these flies almost exclusively. I also worked on nymphing without using an indicator. This was difficult for me to try at first. I love indicators especially the thingamabobber style ones. Without an indicator you do have more control over the depth of your flies. If you have a high visible color line the takes are somewhat obvious. The main thing is having no slack line in the water. After missing a few hook sets I started to dial in what I was doing. It didn't take long before I had a trout slam.
If you've never heard of this term it is when you catch a brown, brookie and rainbow all on the same river the same day. It doesn't happen as often as you'd think even on multiple fish days.
The brookie had striking colors compared to the other fish. I'm guessing this was a male.
When I'm fishing softhackles I usually look for the same kind of water. Ideal water is a fast run that turns into a riffle then settles down into a deep pool. I find most of my fish are where the riffle and deep pool meet. I caught the majority of my fish in a section like this and the highlight was hooking a really nice brookie.
The picture doesn't do the fish justice but if you compare it to the brookie above which was around 14"-15" you can get an idea of the size of this fish. I couldn't put my hands around it to release it. I did a really klutzy release. I'm sure the fish was fine it was just a little embarrassing.

16 comments:

  1. That's a nice haul. I love brook trout. Absolutely love their colors, their appetites, pretty much everything...

    Interesting comments about switching to not using an indicator. I'd imagine it would take some adjustment, but looks like you're doing more than okay. I've never used one, and I still bet I miss more takes than I should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I still miss takes. I just like the control of being able to go deeper if I need to instantly.

      Delete
  2. After reading this, I'd going to switch my thinking and see what happens. Soft hackles and no indicator. Nice haul Kev.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes a lot of practice but it's fun to experiment. What I did at first was half a day with an indicator then the rest of the day without one.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the grand slam. That brookie is gorgeous. Looks like he is beginning to get a kipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS I am going to throw your blog up on my blog roll. Great stuff you have going on here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Atlas, I appreciate it. You blog is great too.

      Delete
  5. Kevin
    Congrats on the grand slam--those are some colorful trout. The nymphing technique is always an ongoing work in progress for me. What size leader were you using? I hope I am getting one of these beadhead soft hackles in the mail soon to try on the tailrace here??? Thanks for sharing a great post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill I usually use a 9ft leader. I am including one of the softhackles in the flies I'm sending to you.

      Delete
  6. Nymphing without an indicator is really taking nymphing to another challenge level. Looks like you had it dialed in on this day. Besides, soft hackles are just fish catchers period! Beautiful Slam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel, I'm always looking for ways to improve my fly fishing skills.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful fish! Way to get 'em without an indicator, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Was this from your trip to the Mitchell? I got an NCARP brookie out of there when I went, and saw several other big fish!

    You know, the other big thing to the non-suspended nymphing is having enough weight to keep the line really tight. Shelling out for the tungsten beads is painful, but pretty helpful in getting the flies down and the line tight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shea, it was the Mitchell. I think the two fly setup helps with the weight ratio and keeping the fly in the proper place. I also look for areas where I know there flies will sink where I want them too. If I fish slower water I adjust my cast. If I fish really fast water I'll add splitshot. I don't like to do that because once it's done you're stuck fishing with shot until you re-rig.

      Delete