Sunday, October 23, 2011

Good Day with Friends

Tried a new river with some friends yesterday.   The morning didn't start off all that great.  I'm kind of a plan freak.  I'm decent about planning but when things change something always gets screwed up.  I had planned to drive and have some people ride with me.  As we were figuring things out a friend said we all could probably fit in his car.  I felt we were kind of running behind already so I grabbed my stuff out of my car as quickly as possible.  Sure enough about 40min into the ride we start talking and a guy pulls out his fly box.  I go to get mine out of the back and I don't see my pack.  I left it in my car!  Luckily I was with others and kept my composure because I just wanted to cuss for about 5minutes.  I think every fisherman has a certain bond with "THEIR" gear.  There is a comfort in knowing what you have and using your own tools.   I knew people would lend me flies and things but I was so mad about forgetting my stuff I just sat and steamed for a bit.  I figured this was maybe a sign that today I needed to help the beginners and fishing will be secondary.   When we arrived at the stream I geared up borrowed 4 flies and some pliers and clippers and we headed out.
From Fall
From Fall
From Fall
From Fall
From Fall
From Fall
From Fall
From Fall
From Fall
The day turned out great and I probably had the most fun watching others catch fish as I did catching them myself.
From Fall
This was one of the few trips I've organized. I like doing it but I always feel uneasy when the questions come up on how to do things. The people asking me are new to fly fishing and many times they think I am a far greater fly fisherman than I actually am. I want to tell them the right way but what exactly is the right way? I only know my way. On the stream a friend was missing hook ups and I gave her some advice. She said "I was told by a guide you're supposed to do this." My response was do whatever catches fish. What a guide tells you might work that day on that stretch of river for those fish but elsewhere you may have to change your tactics. That was how the day was for the rest of us. The fish were hitting very subtle and the takes were almost unnoticeable. The indicator would either stop or honestly you'd just guess or see some slight irregular bob in the current. It was a learning experience for all of us. The challenge made the experience even more fun.

4 comments:

  1. What a great day, and a great writing about the heart of fly fishing -- finding your way and dealing with ever-changing obstacles. Lovely one, Kevin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Erin, I always appreciate your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to compose yourself after forgetting your pack. I will admit that I would probably be pretty pissed. I like to have my own flies and always feel weird borrowing flies myself. What ever it takes to land some fish. Thanks for the report and great pics too. Tight Lines

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blake
    At least you had your fly rod, which a few years ago I forgot on a trip to the lake---it is not the same if you have to use someone's else's equipment, not for me anyway, glad everything worked out for you.

    ReplyDelete