Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Good Size Gills

While hunting bass I found a bed of nice sized gills. They were aggressive but when I'd catch one it would put the others down. I had to wait about 5min before they would get brave enough to hit flies again. I was using a good size foam popper. There were smaller sunfish hitting that weren't quite big enough to swallow the popper. Then I came to a bed where a huge shadow charged the popper and slammed it. I jerked the fly out of the fishes mouth on the first take. I wasn't quite sure what just happened. That was either one of the biggest bluegill I have ever seen or my lack of sleep from the new baby is making me see things.The gills were so large they had teeth. It made me think twice about lipping them. Once I found these fish I forgot about bass. I did see a bass chasing fish out of the shallows. I threw a frog popper at it. It charged the fly but I think it figured out something was wrong at the last second. It hit the fly but it just didn't seem right. It seem to stop the strike short. Usually if they want the fly they inhale it. It was fun to watch.

2 comments:

  1. I thought you said you caught Gills. That thing looks more like a prehistoric piranha!! TEETH? That is one nice beast of a Gill. Plus the coloring is crazy. NIce pics. Tight Lines. Good luck on catching up on some sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a "sucker" for big gills. That thing is huge. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete