Monday, January 4, 2010

New Year-Fish log for 2009

Nothing really that exciting to report. I decided to do a fish log of everything I caught last year. That will help me focus on what I want to accomplish this year. I received some fishy gifts for Christmas. My bro-in-law hooked me up with some flies. I used some gift cards to get some other items. Pliers, magnetic net release for my net. I've been wanting that for about 2yrs. I never seem to have the right fishing attire for the summer so I picked up a breathable long sleeve shirt by redington. Looking forward to see how that works. The weather has been ridiculously cold. The highs have been in the low to mid 30's. I have not even thought about fishing. That's not true, I can't not think about it. Let's just say it hasn't been a priority. For now I'm reminiscing about last years trips which is fun and making my fish log.

I never realized it until looking back at last year, my first fish of 09 didn't come until April. I'm sure I caught some blue gill but my best catch was my first carp.

4/2009
Bluegill, Crappie, Carp
Trout
Still no SHAD

May was great, lots of different species including my first striper.
5/2009
Bass, Bluegill, Trout, catfish, Striped Bass

The catfishing really came on in the late summer. I was never really good at catching them on a fly. They seemed to become really aggressive this time of year.
7/2009
Trout, bluegill, catfish

August provided really good fishing on the Eno.
8/2009
Shellcracker, sunfish, bluegill, bass, Catfish

In the heat of the summer the top water bass fishing really picks up.
9/2009
Lots of bass and gills.

The later the year got the less fishing I did, or logged at least. I think I did a lot of fishing at work and didn't write about it.
10/2009
Trout and gills

11/2009
Trout

Wow, looking back I didn't do as much fishing as I thought. Never made it to the coast and didn't fish the Eno nearly as much as I wanted too. The Neuse was rarely hit and I don't think I fished the Haw at all. I didn't get a chance to go after Smallies at all in 2009. That is unacceptable. This year I have a few things to accomplish.

Things I'd like to accomplish, I'd like to catch in 2010
  • Red Drum
  • Shad
  • White Bass
  • SMALL MOUTH-Definitely have to this year.
  • Wild Trout in the small waters of VA
  • Steelhead or Trout in Oregon
  • Bowfin
  • Get good at catching carp, possible catch of a Grass Carp
  • Muskie on a fly or fishing rod in general

Looking at these most are kind of hard to accomplish without a personal water craft and some disposable income. I hope to have a few of these knocked off by the end of Summer.

In regaurds to climbing, I did a lot more than I thought I would last year . It was mostly pre summer but I'm happy with what I accomplished. This year I would like to hit Stone Mtn. I've never climbed it and the great arch looks like a fun climb. I'd also like get on Ship or Table Rock.


1 comment:

  1. Hopefully 2010 will be filled with more fishing reports - from both of us.

    ReplyDelete